Table of Contents
Last updated on September 7th, 2017 at 12:54 pm
Versatility & Reliability8.0/10
Ease to Configure8.5/10
Value for Money9.0/10
Bluetooth App Performance7.0/10
Amazon Customer Rating7.5/10
- Wide voltage tolerance capabilities
- Memory hold function to remember last configuration
- You can easily split the control line to run longer LED Strips
- A sufficient mobile app for remote BT control
- Hard to search through all light patterns in the phone App
- Limited onboard controls demanding that you always have a paired phone nearby
Controlling your decorative light strips with a fixed programmed LED lights controller isn’t that fun. You have to physically walk to the controller and swap the settings or edit the configuration if you desire a different lighting effect for your festive lights. A wireless controller makes things easier by putting all the control in your hands, either through a dedicated remote or through an iOS or Android mobile app.
The Alarmpore SP105E connects to your phone via Bluetooth, letting you cycle through a couple of patterns, brightness and other settings from the comfort of the couch.
Design and Appearance
There’s nothing eye-catching about the SP105E magic controller. This is good since it is designed to maintain a low profile, letting you focus on the lights it controls and not the controller. It is a tiny chip covered in white plastic with protruding brackets on either end for convenient installation. The miniaturization, however, cuts down on some features making it inferior to the music piping
A socket for the DC power (5-24 volts) sits on one side and the connection to the LED strips on the opposite side. All the power connections are slip-in slots with securing screws at the bottom giving you an easy and convenient way to make a neat and firm connection without bringing out the soldering gun.
Set Up and Getting Started
Set up is simple as long as you understand what each cable on your LED strip stands for. The SP105E magic controller pin outs are color coded and most of the standard LED strips will match these color codes. If yours doesn’t, you will have to use a manual to figure out which color stands for what.
Once you have the wires in place, head over to the Google PlayStore or the Apple App Store and download the SP105E magic controller app. Search for magic controller app or simply scan the QR code on the side of your controller to get the right app from the word go.
The SP105E Magic Controller App
Magic-LED connects to the controller via Bluetooth. Once you have it installed, power on the controller and switch on your device’s Bluetooth. Once the app is powered on, it will begin scanning for the controller. If you have more than one controllers, you will see them pop up on the list. Tap on the one you want to connect to and follow the connection wizard.
The biggest problem with the controller is that it doesn’t give you a way to coin up your own effects. All you have to do is be content with the inbuilt patterns and scroll through them to your content. You can’t join more than one effects or tell the controller to send out a unique signal that suits your needs.
For the app to work, you will need a Bluetooth V4.0 capable device running Android 4.4 and above or iOS 8.0 and above.
- Versatility: it is compatible with almost all two or one wire LED driver IC. These include WS2811 WS2812B, WS2801, SK6812, SK6812-RGBW, LPD6803, LPD8806, APA102, APA105, TM1804, TM1814, TM1914, TM1913, P9813, INK1003, UCS1903, and DMX512. You can also select R/G/B channel order.
- Variability in color: the device comes in over two hundred different colors from which you can choose. The collection is amazing. You can select from static color mode or auto mode both of which are magnificent.
- Auto-save function: once you Alarmpore (TM) SP105 Magic Bluetooth Controller, the auto-save feature automatically updates and does not get lost once the power goes off. In addition, the level of brightness can be regulated to your most preferred level without engaging in many technical details.
- Pixel control: you can play around with the pixel density to a maximum of 240 pixels.
- Wide voltage: the Alampore Magic Bluetooth controller has a wide working voltage (DC5V~24V) that protects from reverse connection of electricity supply and the LED.
- No way to identify all the existing LED style combos or a way to search through them fast
- You cannot create your own animations and save them to the device
- You cannot see the color mode and light effects on the LEDs from your phone
- The app loses Bluetooth connection every time the screen goes to sleep
The Alampore SP105E magic lights Bluetooth controller is quite impressive for something of its size. It offers a tight control over your LEDs and its operating voltage range means that it can easily power up those very bright high-power LEDs without breaking a sweat. The app and effects approach might have a couple of rough edges here and there but it sure is a cool way to keep tight control over your LED light decorations.